Mental health of a PCOD patient

Hormones are incredible! They do so much good in our body as well as they can create a huge chaos in our life as well.
In 2019, I was officially diagnosed with polycystic ovarian disease commonly known as PCOD. It is a hormonal disorder causing enlarged ovaries with small cysts on the outer edge. My periods have been irregular and painful since the beginning. And when I went to the doctor she told me about the condition. It was a great shock to me as I came to know that one out of 5 women is suffering from this very disease. She asked me to get my ultrasound done, and VOILA!
The disease wasn't the bad news, the bad news is that there is no cure to this. My mind wasn't ready to accept this piece of information. I was gaining weight and losing my hairs. Isn't it supposed to be opposite in terms of the definition of the standard set by society? Life became a struggle with irregular periods, obesity, cysts, hair loss and depression.
And by far I have experienced, the worst thing this disease brings to their patient is anxiety and depression. Nowadays people use these terms as normal adjectives. It is not as simple as it seems to be. Being diagnosed with a chronic condition itself is a huge cause of being depressed. There's still a lot of taboo around mental health issues in our country. When someone is suffering from a physical disease, everyone recommends a doctor.  But the emotional struggle of a person is often judged or overlooked or ridiculed.
Depression is experienced as persistent low mood (feeling blue and down) that doesn't go away. A person feels trapped from within. Not being able to eat or sleep, feeling helpless or hopeless. And the worst part about it is that everyone comes up with their own idea of dealing with it. Whereas no one understands the complete void one is going through. You expect people to be nice and behave normally. But it this case I had to deal with a daily dose of body shaming. People around me used to constantly remind me about how thin my hair was getting or how ugly I was looking with all the weight that u had put on.
PCOD has been shown to be associated with thought Little research that has been done in this area. Due to high cortisol levels, stress is increased. The most common treatment is lifestyle changes. Being a PCOD patient itself means keeping yourself around plenties of 21 days cycle hormone pills.

It is often said that "THINGS THAT DOESN'T KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONG".
My way to combat my pain is to face it. You just have to remind yourself that this can be a part of your life, but there are many other beautiful things in life.
You're not a victim, you're a warrior.
So ladies all you've gotta do is - BELIEVE!

Comments

  1. I often got mixed up due to hormonal lochaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. When a person suffers physically everyone recommend you doctors but the emotional struggle of person is often judged..

    These lines itself shows how capable you are with your writing skills (blogging, quote, Sharia) . Go ahead 👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

letter to my younger self

A Story To Be Told...